Subtext

A blog about the things I forget to tell you

2.08.2011

One Other Thing

Can someone please verify for me if otters actually cruise over waterfalls like it is no big thing? This was the other major Yellowstone debate. Though I am not sure who originally posited this one, I can tell you that Tammy has been a huge proponent of this so-called fact. Personally, in my gut I feel like it is too good to be true. The very idea of the river otter as adrenaline junkie, getting itself all pumped up and ready to go, then just pulling down its little goggles and taking the plunge downstream seems too fanciful. Or maybe it is just the goggles that get me. Who knows? But! This fact has been near impossible to track down online since every search just leads to waterfalls named after famous otters, though most of these have since been renamed generically as Otter Falls as a way to downplay the great deeds done by otters throughout the years, as otters have become less and less popular. Most historians blame this on the otters ongoing 24 year ban of actually appearing in their own exhibit at the zoo. I mean, I came to the zoo just to see you guys and you weren’t even there! In 24 years of impassioned zoo visits I have yet to see a single otter even though I’ve seen multiple otter exhibits! Its insanity. I’ve even seen the wolves and their habitat is huge!

Anyway, that’s what the unbiased historians are saying. I have no idea what the reason could be for the declining otter approval rating. Probably the economy.

So let this be your forum if you have some insight on my nature question of the day. Do otters go over (and enjoy) waterfalls?

No comments:

Post a Comment